Misinformation

9:59

Last night I wrote about Sandy, and how it's difficult to gauge what's actually going on because of the massive amount of information swirling around.

I was glad to see it was not just me! I had my twitter feed open during class while I knitted. The teacher talks and talks and talks non-stop so makes it easy to multi-task. Back to twitter ... and I watched the tweets about the NYSE trading floor being flooded.  Even reputable news sources were tweeting this hot piece of breaking news.

Then someone tweeted that there were conflicting reports about whether or not this was true.  While the mystery of whether or not the trading floor was flooded at the NYSE was unfolding, there were pictures upon pictures coming out of the stricken area.  Then there were all the guides on how to tell what's real and what's fake. What? This isn't real.

Photoshop credit unknown - found it on Facebook


In class teacher man was rambling on about the power of the internet and social media.  See! I was listening.  He was talking about how social media impacted the Arab Spring.  Al Jazeera English must have heard him because they tweeted about the whether social media did more for the Arab Spring, or was it vice-versa. Here's the article if you're interested.

10:04

This morning I flipped the news on for 5 minutes while I got ready for my spin bike, and they were talking about the massive amount of misinformation on the web.  Interesting that we're now talking about the misinformation surrounding an event, instead of the event itself.

We get so caught up in it sometimes, that its easy to forget the perils of social media.

Comments

  1. As always, you nailed it in the head. Love reading your blogs: informative and thought-provoking.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment