Beaded Gypsy Bracelet


A while ago, I went to a beading class and learned a few different techniques.  There was pearl knotting - did you know there's a fancy tool for that - and gypsy-style bead-work.  The pearl knotting wasn't that exciting, but the gypsy-style was so pretty and so fun.   I didn't get very far in class, and then put it away when I got home. You know when you put something away, you forget about it.
I pulled it out tonight and wondered how many lifetimes this project would take.
This Could Take A while
This Could Take A while
As pretty as it is - it's painstakingly slow at first.  You thread one bead onto a head pin, then through the chain link, then three more beads onto the head pin, then the chain link - repeat this step three more times, before adding one more bead and making your loop.  Now do that 7,000,000 times. Well, in my case it was 32 times - thank goodness for skinny wrists.
The process of adding beads one by one between the chain links
The process of adding beads one by one between the chain links
Here the beads are laid out in sequence
Here the beads are laid out in sequence
If it wasn't so beautiful, I would have lost interest, but the further along I got, the more I loved it. As I did it over and over again, the process did get easier and faster.
Once you've done that on each of 32 pins, you have to make 32 dangly charms for the bottom.  If I was really patient I would have doubled up on the charms. Imagine how lovely that would have been.  I'm so happy with it. I might have to make another one - but not too soon.
Gypsy Bracelet Done
Completed Gypsy Bracelet
Gypsy Bracelet Detail
Gypsy Bracelet Detail

Comments