This is my Tree

Yes, I know I take a lot of pictures of this tree.  It's right outside my bedroom window so usually the first thing I see when I look out my window in the morning, and the last thing I see at night. In the morning it's awash in the long beams of the rising sun.  More recently though, in the morning, it's nothing but a silhouette beneath the indigo skies of dawn.  At night it changes with each car that passes as the car lights move over it. I love it.


It may just seem like one of a million other trees, but this tree is a part of my daily comings and goings.  It gives me an early warning of the waning summer, and brings a promise of spring.  In summer it's heavy with leaves, basking in the delight of summer.  In the winter, it rests, patiently waiting for next growing season.

When you stand at the bus stop you see the tree. When you get off the bus across the road and walk across the boulevard to my house, the tree is there.  Maybe the tree is watching over me - like a sentinel.  OK, maybe I've read the Giving Tree too many times.



Today I went out to the boulevard and picked up the fallen leaves.  I got some strange looks from drivers rushing by.  Passengers on the busses looked on curiously as I raked leaves into big piles and filled yard waste bags to the top. 

I hope no one thought I was being a good citizen and keeping a public space tidy. My motives were selfish!! The fallen leaves make excellent brown matter for my compost bin.  Two big bags collected in the fall last all through the winter and the summer to maintain the carbon-nitrogen balance in my compost bin.


This is my tree and I love it.

Comments