Khuri Khitchri is still my favourite food

I don't know if it's a childhood thing, but I love khuri khitchri.  In simplest terms, it's jazzed up yogurt and rice.  But there's nothing simple about khuri khitchri. It's an abundance of flavours melding together to turn the simplest staples into a delicious feast.

Turmeric has a cool new status as a nutritional powerhouse  - yes, good old bori as we called it by the Gujerati name, or haldi, it's Hindi name.  I sat in a tea shop the other day drinking a ginger and turmeric tea and my two blonde friends were telling me about the wonders of turmeric with coconut milk - staple morning beverage for one of them.  Turmeric is just something I cook with - a little bit goes into most of the dishes I cook - it's a kitchen staple.

The nutritional qualities of ginger and garlic are also much talked about these days, and now even cumin is hanging out with the cool kids as everyone raves about how great it is for you. Imagine that! The rice also has some lentils mixed in so has an additional source of protein.

As it turns out by adding turmeric to the rice -the khitchri - and the yogurt - the khuri - , but also in the spinach and potato accompaniments the nutritional value of my favorite dish has just gone up. What is khuri khitchri after all without spinach curry and masala aloo fry.  Masala aloo fry is sliced potatoes slathered in garlic, ginger, turmeric, cumin and red chillies. The spinach is cooked with onions and spices and tomatoes for a delicious curry.

Who'd have thought a childhood staple is actually that good for you.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Comments