The things you do to watch your favorite band

Last Thursday I went out – on a weeknight – to go watch the third Peak Performance Showcase. For those of you who don’t listen to it, The Peak is probably the best thing that’s happened to Vancouver radio since …. well since the demise of 600AM.  So this fabulous radio station is behind the Peak Performance Project – an amazing way to develop local talent.  Long story short - 20 bands get chosen to attend a music bootcamp, and then they come show off what they’ve learned, 4 artists at a time.

Last week’s artists were Steph Macpherson, Christopher Arruda, Behind Sapphire and the main reason I was out on a week night, Said the Whale.  The Peak is largely responsible for my love of this little-known local band .. something to do with a birthday party in the Peak Performance Lounge with a certain band performing about 3 feet away. Who can not fall in love with great musicians in such an intimate setting?

Anyway, I digress.  So there I was last Thursday.  Doors open at 8 – show starts at 9. I start the night out with 3 friends, none of who have even the faintest interest in my musical taste for the evening, but happy to come along for ride.  By 9:30 they’d all bailed and there I was at the Red Room, alone, waiting for STW to come on at midnight.

At 43, I was most likely the oldest person in the room – except for the grandparents of one or two of the artists who hastily escaped after meeting the minimum-stay requirement of the evening.  I wore jeans and a t-shirt bearing a cycling team logo – so clearly missed the memo about women having to get dressed up, or at least dress girly. 

I had almost 2 ½ hours to kill before STW came on which makes for lots of time for reflection.  All the artists were surprisingly good – I loved Christopher Arruda’s voice, but was a bit afraid when he started yelling.  Standing around alone for that much time, I questioned why I was even there, in a room full of attractive, stylishly dressed 20-something-ers.  But, but, but I protested, I love Said the Whale, and I really want to watch them perform.  So for that you’re going to stand here alone for 2 more hours? Well yes, I’d rather be alone than make awkward small talk with strangers – I mean, really, who even does that?

Is this an identity crisis? Who goes from loving 600AM to loving The Peak? Who wears Sanuks to go out to a bar on a Thursday night? What sort of girl hangs out in a bar alone, wearing a cotton t-shirt and ill-fitting jeans?  Are you even allowed to like this whole indie music scene when you’re 43, or is there some rule against that too?

Once Said the Whale took the stage, I knew exactly why I’d stayed.  They were even better than the other 6 or so times I’ve seen them since last November.  I loved their performance - especially the Paul Anka cover.  At one point I was signing along and could feel someone looking at me.  I turned to see Vince Vaccaro watching me, singing along with me. He didn't seem to think it was odd at all that I was there.

So between my brief conversation with Peter outside in the line-up, to standing beside Ben during Steph Macpherson’s performance, to having Cayne from We are the City budge right by me while Christopher Arruda played, and then singing along to Said the Whale later on with Vince Vaccaro, and by far the best Said the Whale performance I've seen to date, I would have to say it was a pretty kick-ass night. Oh crap – am I allowed to say kick-ass or do you have to be 18 to say that.

Who makes up these rules anyway?

Comments

  1. really, you should have seen Garth to give you some perspective on what greatness really is.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment