What do Mountain Bikers Look Like?


As we were bending to take our shoes off at the yoga studio last week, I exchanged glances with a woman across the room and one of those “why do I feel like I know you” moments.  I smiled without commitment and headed into my class.  Moments later she tapped my shoulder and asked if we had met before.  We agreed we had met but could not remember where and promised to figure it out after class.

By the time we met after class, I remembered that I knew her from when I took Bootycamp last year.  She asked if I had been cycling much and I told her about my accident came last Fall.  With eyebrows raised she said “So you broke two bones in your pelvis mountain biking??”  She seemed so incredulous and then with her next question I understood why. “I don’t mean to be rude,” she said, “but how old are you?”


I told her I was 44 and she said. “You certainly don’t look like a mountain biker”.  Really? What does a mountain biker look like? I set her mind at ease by reassuring her that I also quilted and knitted.  “Well that I can see, but mountain biking??” was her flabbergasted response.

When you’re in your forties and 30lbs overweight you can’t be offended when someone responds in that way.  It did make me wonder what a mountain biker looks like?  Sure the North Shore is full of twenty-something unshaven guys who fit the mould.  How often do we assume riders are twenty-something guys because they’re covered in mud and wearing full-face helmets? 

Ride by on the nights the MuddBunnies are out and you’ll be pleasantly surprised by the number of women riding.  Many are in their twenties, but there are just as many in their thirties and older.  When I did a mountain biking camp last summer I watched with great admiration as the elite riders returned and pulled off their helmets.  There’s something particularly kick-ass when she pulls of her helmet and she has sweaty grey hair and a mega-grin that shines so brightly you don’t even notice her wrinkles.  It’s nothing short of inspirational when you hear of people learning to ride in their 50’s and 60’s.  Who says fun has age limit?

When I hesitated about getting into mountain biking at all, much of the advice came from my peers.  Could it be that I’m just lucky enough to know that many cool old people?  And don’t forget the big boys.  A number of those twenty-something guys are riding with their Dads who taught them everything they know.

I don’t know who decided what mountain bikers look like, but I’m very grateful that riders don’t care what you look like, or how old you are.  They will check out your bike and admire it. When its time to ride, everyone is always so happy to be riding with other people who share their passion. Once you’re on the trail, the only thing that matters is that you love to ride.

Comments

  1. I plan to ride until I'm too old to swing a leg over my bike and pedal away! The only thing that bums me out when I'm riding is seeing someone riding a mountain bike on trails without a helmet.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment