Are all Continuing Education Classes Like This?

11:51

You may see a pattern where my Monday posts will be about the class that I'm taking.

I skipped out of class early tonight because the alternative was going to be banging my head repeatedly against the monitor.

Let me start at the beginning.  Class starts at 6:30.  He checks where everyone is in the book, which is confusing for me when he assigned a certain chapter of reading last week.  So isn't there where everyone should be?

Tonight he offered that we could read ahead on our own, or continue to work ahead during class, as long as we listened with one ear in case he rambled something useful. He was being facetious, but you don't know rambling on until you've met Jared.  You think I ramble one? You should hear this fellow.

So we spend 90 minutes talking about how no one should bother paying for web-hosting for our would-be sites. He tells us about a free option, walks us through the registration process in the most pedestrian manner possible and then digresses with his personal feelings about any number of host providers.

11:56 ... but I'm not done yet.

Long story short, his lessons do not seem to actually teach anything.  Mostly he checks that we've read the material and inquires if anyone has had problems.  Sometimes he'll deal with them, but mostly he just ramble on about web sites and the internet in general with vague references to the material every now and again.

When he does write something down, he usually begins with, "You won't learn this until much later, but let me show you anway."

At the end of hour 2 I was in grave danger of eating my text book out of frustration and boredom, so I packed up and left.

So this week, I will finish the current chapter and move on to the next or the next because now I know we will  not be covering any of this material in class.  The program is basically self taught, and the teacher is available for help should it be required.

Are all continuing education classes like that?

Comments

  1. I've done my fair share of online classes, but have never had the privilege of having online lectures. But, having suffered through even more in-class lectures on a part-time basis... crappy teaching is more common than it should be. Especially, given the cost of each course ($600).

    I like to think it's a symptom of me being too smart :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment