Basking in the Glory

9:20

Last night a friend texted me and invited me to a YRide class.  She had a bring-a-friend-for-free and I jumped at it.

So this evening we went to YRide, meeting two other friends there. It's like a cycle-fit class, except the bike frame moves from side-to-side.  The base is stable, but you can lean the bike left and right, and when you stand  you don't have a firm base to lean on. Instead the bike leans left and right as you move from side to side.  It's not balance as much as core stability that keeps you in place on the bike.

It was different all right! I loved it because it added a whole new element to a traditional cycle-fit class.  The lady teaching the class had that great balance between being cheery and leading a good ride, without being annoying.  All in all a great class and we were all drenched in sweat.

I'd almost forgotten that feeling of having worked so hard, and being so spent and feeling like such a beast.  There used to be a time when I'd get back to the change room & look at my self in the mirror. In an instant my joy would dissipate, because my self-image of strength, power and fitness that I'd just built on the bike would be doused by the reality of my overweight reflection.

9:25 - but of course I'm not done.

Now that I'm older and wiser, I can take that feeling of being a mega beast on the bike, and just bask in it.  When I walk past the windows and see my reflection, I can smile and think "Way to go chunky old lady.  Way to push yourself and take delight in your strength and fitness." Four hours later, I'm still smiling gleefully from the ride.

Comments