Eid Mubarak

12:31am

I guess you could also say Eat Mubarak, since it would appear that's what today was mostly about.

When I talked about how much I accomplished last night, I was very pleased to have made my samoosas as well as prepared all the components of the biryani.  Samoosas and biryani are both staples for an Eid celebration.  Biryani is a rice dish cooked on celebratory occasions.  It's marinated meat layered with potatoes, boiled eggs, boiled lentils and parboiled rice.  Preparing all these components ahead of time makes the creation of biryani way easier the next day.

So I went to bed thinking phew it was done.

Then, somehow, this morning, the intention to not prepare too much food and keep Eid low key went to hell in a hand-basket.  So while my husband went to mosque I made pies (thank goodness I had left over samoosa filling!), baked a cake, fried pateria*, made soji and prepared the leg of lamb for roasting, and of course, got the pot of biryani ready.

Now at 12:36 - oops times up for this post - I've finally cleaned the kitchen ... or as much as I'm going to do tonight.  My belly is far too full from having overeaten all day, yet there's an emptiness from questioning when Eid became all about the food.

Comments