My Mother Taught Me to Steal

11:41

"Just look and steal with your eyes," my mother said.  We were walking through Edgars* weeks before Eid, deciding what my Eid dress would look like. My mother was a master seamstress and could look at a dress on a mannequin then go home and recreate it.  She didn't need a pattern, and mostly the first fitting was perfect.

She could do the same with a sweater she'd see and like.  She could go back home and adapt an existing pattern into a new creation that everyone would marvel over.

Unfortunately I didn't inherit her sewing talent, but I am very good at stealing with my eyes. I spend too much time on inspirational places like Etsy, Pinterest and Craftgawker and then go down to my Cave of Creation and take a shot at recreating some of the beautiful things I've seen.

Right now I'm onto paper garlands. I saw some on Etsy - and wondered who would pay $15 for a paper garland?  With my punches and paper stash that I have, there is great ambition for the creation of paper garlands.  "Sew" far I'm planning hearts, and butterflies and flowers: always, always flowers.  Watch this space ...

11:45


*Edgars was a Department Store much like Sears or The Bay when I was growing up in South Africa.

Comments