Self Motivation

5:05

Why is self motivation such a difficult thing?

I know how much I enjoy practising yoga (Google tells me that's a typo - and wants me to say practicing, but practise is the verb, practice the noun - so I'm poopooing Google on that one).

Where was I  ... oh yes. I love yoga, but why is it so hard for me to get there. Forget driving over town to a practice (note noun!!!), what about unrolling my mat in the living room? When I do it, I'm so happy and promise to do it more regularly.  But will I tomorrow? And the day after?

The same with my class that I've whined about so much on this blog.  The class is not teaching me anything, so why do I go? Because I know if I don't go, I won't work through the book on my own. I could have bought that book ages ago and taught myself HTML, but no - I have to sign up for a class, and show up every week to get through the material.




I know it's not just me! Weight Watchers is built on the premise that we can't be accountable to ourselves. The same with having a gym buddy or a trainer: people are more motivated if they know they have someone else to answer to.

We're kinda silly that way, aren't we.  The first thing I want to do when I figure out the self-motivation thing is polish my Spanish and learn French! Oh wait, that's two things.

5:10




Comments