Solo Adventures

I do a lot of things alone:  I travel alone, I hike alone, I snowshoe alone and I ride alone.  I've even camped alone.  Mostly I enjoy the selfish decadence of solo adventures, but every now and again, self pity makes its appearance.  Having no one to share your excitement with as you ride the chair lift up back up after a great run; or having no one bear witness as you slay your demons on the trail  somehow dilutes the fun a little.

Last Sunday's adventure took me on bike ride along the dykes at Boundary Bay. You can read about my ride on my outdoors blog. My mission was to see the snowy owls that spend the winter along the shore.  The owls were beautiful, as were the hawks and eagles.  It's a bird lover's paradise out there!

The dyke stretches all the way around the bay so I went for a little ride.  Along the way I stopped to watch birds, sometimes took some pictures.  When the rain came I stopped to add a waterproof layer, then rode on.  I had planned well for my upper body, but didn't bring water-repellent pants and didn't even think of shoe covers.  My fleece-lined running leggings would have to do. Luckily I did have good winter riding gloves.  For a moment I pondered the nasty weather, but decided to keep riding.  My surroundings were far too beautiful to leave just yet.  Besides, I was on a bike. Being on a bike is like a guarantee for happiness.  Your heart is so filled with happy that it warms your whole body.

Somewhere along the ride, with cold rain hitting my smiling face, a light bulb blinked twice and then came on in my head.  When you're so happy to ride in the rain on a winter's day, you're not likely to find much company.  Having this moment alone, far outweighed not having this moment at all.

When to stop and how long to stop for was entirely up to me.  I rode along in the rain as long as I was happy doing so, and then turned around when I was ready. Me! Me! Me! When you do stuff alone it's all about you.

Of course you have no one to share the joy with - unless you come home and write a blog about it.

Comments