The Joy of Sharing Food

There's something so deeply satisfying about feeding others.


Whether it's friends, family or strangers, feeding people soothes your soul and lifts your spirits.  Most of us take it for granted because we cook dinner or make breakfast for our families regularly.  Is it the creation of a complete meal out of separate elements? Is it the gesture of doing something for someone else? Is it the aspect of sharing? Is it the human connection? I don't know, but it feels good.

When someone arrives at my door with a homemade treat, it always means so much more.  I appreciate that they took the time, made the effort.  It's always heart warming when someone does something nice for you.

I remember cooking for an injured friend once.  The satisfaction of knowing you're helping out in some small way, far outweighs the effort of cooking.  It's like buying a meal for a homeless person. The $5 is a fairly insignificant sum for most of us - but seeing the appreciation in their eyes gives you so much satisfaction.  Here's that funny thing happening again - where you do something nice for someone, but you get so much joy in the doing and the sharing - that you almost feel guilty that you get so much out of wanting to do something for someone else.

Tonight I am baking a pie to take to a friend's get together.  I'm trying a new recipe, that looks promising.  I'm excited to share my efforts with my friends tonight.





©iStockphoto.com/Daniel Schweinert

Comments