Cousins

"Cousins are usually the first friends we have as children. No one will ever understand your crazy family like your cousins do".


I went back to South Africa this fall. This was my 3rd visit back in 25 years, but my first visit without my husband.  Usually we go to see his family as he still has siblings in South Africa, and I steal some time for short visits to see a few key people in my family.  This time it was all my time and I was able to spend time with people I hadn't seen in forever.

The day I arrived, I enjoyed lunch with one set of cousins.  We were children together and grew up together.  I hadn't seen some of them in my few visits back to South Africa, and probably not a for a few years before leaving. It was so wonderful to instantly feel that same closeness, and share memories of our childhood.  We all felt lucky to have had those days together, and I felt unbelievably blessed that the warm and affection had not faded over the years.

Over the course of the next few weeks, I reunited with many other cousins.  Some of these cousins are a lot younger than I am, so they were the little cousins growing up.  Now we were meeting as adults, but the connections were seamless and heartwarming.



I spent an afternoon with another cousin who is a little older than me, so we never had a connection as children.  I would just look up at her in awe and hope that one day, when I became a real girl, I'd be as glamorous as her.  I never became a real girl - so never became glamorous. She is still glamorous.

We sat visiting with some other cousins - the children of 4 siblings sat together.  As they chatted on, I wondered if this could have been our parents 30 years ago.  The conversation sounded the same and the language just as colourful. I loved every minute of it.

My gracious and wonderful hostess is almost 10 years younger than I - so we didn't have a childhood relationship.  She was the family baby and my mother adored her.  We'd pick her up to come spend the afternoon with us, and then take her home 3 days later.  To see her as an amazing adult today fills me with joy.  My mother would be so proud of her.

I always feel nervous about reconnecting with people that I was close to as a child.  Will we still be connected? Will they still like me?  Of course they will - just as much as I still love them! It's so wonderful to have a foundation of a childhood friendship, and then build a mature adult relationship on that solid base.

My time in South Africa was filled with great memories and relationships cemented with love and affection.


Comments