Sandy, Oh Sandy

6:10

Writing my 5 minute blurb at school today, before class starts: partly because I don't want to complain about school later tonight (again!) and partly because Sandy is a way bigger deal than school.

Holy moly Batman! Big water and big wind. Hoping everyone stays safe on the east coast but mostly thinking of all the animals who can't get themselves to safety. Thinking of stray dogs and cats, little rats and mice that live in nooks and crannies and sewers and all the little birds and insects and creepy crawlies that are at the mercy of the wind and rain tonight.

Watching this weather phenomenon unfold its difficult to get a grasp of what's really going on.  Last Saturday there was an earthquake about 600 miles away on our very extensive west coast.  Within the hour, the major international news stations were reporting a huge quake on Canada's west coast. Of course people thought Vancouver, and they sounded so disappointed when I said I hadn't felt it at all.

Now with Sandy, I'm watching the usual news sources, who have been known to exaggerate on occasion.  Social media is ablaze with pictures and stories there's a veritable flood of information.  I guess it doesn't really matter how big a storm it is, all we can do is hope for everyone's safety.

Now if I can just get John Travolta singing Stranded at the Drive-in out of my head ...

6:15

Comments