Parenting Has Changed

8:07

I don't know how it came up the other day but we were talking about how we parent compared to how our parents parented.  Is that word? Parented?

Anyway - we talked about how we hover over our kids, doting on them and yet in comparison, it appears to me that kids today have far less regard for their parents than we did.  My mother was a perfectly good mother in that she took care of us and made sure we had all we needed, but I don't remember her asking how my day was at school. It would more likely be a stern voice asking how much homework I had.  When I was in Grade 1 and 2 she'd come get me at school and when we walked home together, I'd tell her about my day and about new friends I'd made. We'd always stop at Mahi's shop for a cold-drink and crisps.

As a little girl I remember sitting on her sewing table while she sewed, but as a teenager I hardly remember us talking. Of course, being middle-aged myself, my memory may be foggy.  I don't ever remember us sitting down with tea to talk about nothing, or doing something together. Teenagers never drank tea where I come from, let alone make chit chat with parents.  I don't even think she knew who my friends were. It's not that she didn't care: that was just my life and she had her life.

Now you probably think my mother wasn't very nice; but that's just the way things were when i was growing up.  It's not like I'd go over to my cousins' homes to find them all spending loving quality time with their mothers.  Children would play outside and go in when it got dark.   There'd be hot dinner ready and always cake or pudding on Sunday.

Funny how things change.

8:13


Comments